Some may say the South Carolina Gamecocks are not having a good recruiting cycle due to not having a "big name" amongst the group. Don't believe that talk. This crop of talent is exactly what USC needs to continue to build depth and to sustain the direction of the football program.
Going into National Signing Day, the Gamecocks have 20 commitments. Of those, three have already enrolled and there is still some room to add to the class. Here is some things to watch for on National Signing Day from the Gamecocks perspective:
1. Who will linebacker Quinton Powell of Daytona Beach, FL give his pledge too? Most thought, including him, that he would be announcing on Signing Day for Florida but the Gators informed him there is no room for him. Ouch. And now it is being reported that USC has communicated to him that there is no room for him in the class so what will he do? Will USC switch and make him a "take?"
2. Another linebacker to watch for USC is Yannick Ngakoue of Washington, DC. He remains up in the air with his decision between USC, Maryland and Florida State. Most feel he is leaning towards USC but he has some friends going with the Terps and we all know peer pressure can be a "mo fo."
3. Staying with the linebacker talk, another one to watch is Jonathan Walton of Daphne, AL. He will make his decision between USC and Auburn. Some think he too is a USC lean at the point but the Tigers are making a late push so it is still a tight choice. UPDATE --- HERE.
4. USC fans will be tuned in to watch Keith Bryant make his call on NSD on ESPNU at 1:30pm. This defensive lineman is choosing between USC, FSU and Miami. I'm thinking USC is the one to beat out of that mix but stay tuned.
5. Back to linebacker talk....Watch what Skai Moore of Fort Lauderdale does on NSD. It is going to come right down to South Carolina, Vanderbilt and Rutgers. Signing Day activities at the school will begin at 9:45 AM. This young man was a Rutgers lean but USC is trying to convince him the SEC is the place to be, as is Vandy but most feel he is leaning USC right now.
6. The Gamecocks are trying to work Tyrell Lyons of Jacksonville, FL on coming to Columbia for his collegiate career. USC is up against FSU for this linebackers services. He is a 'Noles lean.
As you noticed, lots of linebacker talk going into the final stretch. Expect to see the Gamecocks land at least two of the above, if not three or a total surprise of running the slate.